Minehead Regency Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minehead Regency Building

I've just spent the weekend in Minehead, not Butlins but I still managed to see enough from a distance, after a long gap from putting in planning, work is well advanced in the regency, there is a new large water tank installed outside the princes to service the sprinklers of the main buildings, this has then allowed the demolition of the old pool which couldn't be touched because of the sprinklers.
    There is a huge hole in the side of the regency on the corner adjacent to the old reception building, which the contractors are using to get everything out, I couldn't say how much of the pool is left, but were I was standing on the seafront with the sunlight in the right place you could see all the way through the upstairs right through to the opposite windows, and it looked totally cleared, no evidence of anything upstairs, from memory the whole building will be reclad once finished with upstairs meant to becoming an activity centre.

Thanks for the update, hadn’t appreciated that anything was planned so would be interesting to find the plans (I struggled to find anything when I searched) or to see any photos, if available?

Comment

Originally posted by Minehead Forever View Post
    I've just spent the weekend in Minehead, not Butlins but I still managed to see enough from a distance, after a long gap from putting in planning, work is well advanced in the regency, there is a new large water tank installed outside the princes to service the sprinklers of the main buildings, this has then allowed the demolition of the old pool which couldn't be touched because of the sprinklers.
    There is a huge hole in the side of the regency on the corner adjacent to the old reception building, which the contractors are using to get everything out, I couldn't say how much of the pool is left, but were I was standing on the seafront with the sunlight in the right place you could see all the way through the upstairs right through to the opposite windows, and it looked totally cleared, no evidence of anything upstairs, from memory the whole building will be reclad once finished with upstairs meant to becoming an activity centre.
    What a real shame

Comment

I am staying there in a couple of weeks, so will take a look. I've pretty much lost all interest in modern Butlins, but it was a cheap room for visiting the area. I especially can't stand the app booking system for venues. Apparently, according to the email, the Regency is all set to be used for escape rooms (a bit late to the party, a fad, and won't be free), interactive expensive crazy golf (yawn) and revamped laser-tag. Presumably they have overcome the disabled access issues for upstairs that were cited as the reason for shutting down the free games room up there. This place really is a Haven caravan park, but with even more things to spend vast amounts of money on while you are staying there.
      Last edited by KAF2; 05-06-2023, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Minehead Forever
        Minehead Forever commented
        Editing a comment
        Your right about not liking the modern Butlins, I did the darts last November but that wasn't a Butlins break as such, I wouldn't book a normal break there at all, especially after the reviews, having to book shows in advance, having to clear a venue after every show, not interested at all, there is not much to hang onto now apart from our memories. I love Minehead as a destination, but we stay at the premier inn now.

Taken from outside the camp but It sets the scene, camera not good enough to zoom into the darkness, but when you are there it looks a shell inside.
      Last edited by Minehead Forever; 05-07-2023, 09:31 AM.

Comment

The new water tower for the building sprinklers, looks a bit unsightly to me.
        Attached Files

Comment

The new water tower for the building sprinklers, looks a bit unsightly to me.
          not the best but not the worst - maybe they will hide it. Be interesting if the pool has now been completely removed or if its just filled in.

Comment

What a shame. Wonder if anything was kept.

Comment

I am staying here now. The closed down bumper boat pool is very ratty looking. The cinema is closed and derelict, half obscured by the ugly water tank. As per usual, the Waltzer is in bits, so barely any rides to go on in the so-called funfair. Five working dodgems!!! Bouncy castles, swing boats, jumping pillow and trampolines all gone. The recent Billy Butlin weird attractions shed, off the funfair is boarded off and looks knackered. Maintenance of any new facility is always zero. The old pool tank has clearly gone, as you can see the full ceiling in the Regency from ground level. Shame. They needed two pools, as with so little else to do included in the price, everybody on camp piles in swimming, making it a pretty dire experience, compared with when the holiday makers were spread out over numerous free attractions. Prices of food and extras on site have gone up. 5-7 quid is the normal. 25 quid per adult for a buffet canteen evening meal in the restaurant? Or just pop outside, around the corner to the Morrison's cafe instead?! Don't know what shows are on, but I already know they'll be the usual low budget tripe, as even the smallest 'named' act is now reserved for adult weekenders or school summer holidays. And I do so love the half day close-down on all changeover days. That must be a real bonus for anybody staying for a week!

And yet, sad, but this is is still the best remaining Butlins camp of the three. Best fun-pool, even after the Skeggy pool revamp. Best accommodation. Bognor looks like Mecca these days, and Skegness is mostly the 1980s to late 90s badly deteriorated apartments. Best atmosphere here. If only there were half the attractions of the 70s or 80s, this would still be my perfect holiday. But as it is, I'd swap for an all-inclusive Portugal break in a second.

I'm sure that there is somebody out there who will declare, as per usual, that Butlins is better than ever. So there is that.
              Last edited by KAF2; 05-15-2023, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Minehead Forever
                Editing a comment
                Are you able to get any better pics of inside the regency, I was only able to take mine from a distance.

The cinema went to allow the extension of reds, if you fancy a film Minehead has a cinema privately owned just up town on the left after the co op.
                Last edited by Minehead Forever; 05-16-2023, 07:29 PM.

Very difficult to get a photo inside. The fence is quite high. The gated area is at too great an angle for a clear photo, and it is very dark inside. I will see whether I can take a photo by reaching over the fence boards. Like I said, I am not massively interested and have spent 90 percent of this holiday off camp. I am surprised it didn't go sooner, although I thought it would make a good spa complex, when they went all Centerparcs pretend upmarket with the extra charges. They could actually do with an extra fun-pool, as Splash gets way too busy these days, through a lack of any other free activities.

I saw they opened the old cinema in Minehead a year or so ago, presumably helped by the fact the Butlins no longer allowed locals in to use their cinema.

The relatively new, 'luxury' lakeside chalets are now looking scruffy, almost the worst of the accommodation, with discoloured roofing and weed-chocked gutters! Typical.
              Last edited by KAF2; 05-17-2023, 08:20 AM.

Comment

​ This is as good a photo as I can take. You can also see the inside of the roof through the Crazy Horse entrance.

Comment

• Minehead Forever
                  Editing a comment
                  It hasn't loaded KAF2, would be interested to see it if you have the time to try again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230517_1244031.jpg Views:	2 Size:	31.2 KB ID:	255It is showing up here - and I have logged out and back in again. But you really can't see very much!

Meanwhile, I will retry...
                Last edited by KAF2; 05-17-2023, 05:48 PM.

Comment

It shows a little more than I could see from a distance, the North side of the regency didn't have a second floor as the pool tank sat in the space were the floor was, the south side of the building did have from the spectator part back to changing rooms and the old green baize, you can see in kaf2's pic a new steel beam, which will be inserted at every roof support to allow a floor across the whole building.

Comment

Working...
                X