Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Recovered #2596) - The outdoor pool at Minehead ... or is it another camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Recovered #2596) - The outdoor pool at Minehead ... or is it another camp?

08-12-03, 06:20 PM
    Tom
    Default The outdoor pool at Minehead ... or is it another camp?
    Below is a picture of a postcard, apparently of the outdoor poool at Minehead that I found on the site.

It was in the Minehead Postcards section of the site, but I noticed a few things funny about it.

1 - It dose not look like the pool looked like as I remember it. Is it?

2 - There was always a monorail above the outdoor funpool, but I can not see any monorail! As shown in a different picture below, the monorail was not that high up and also I can not see any pillars.

Dose anyone know if this is a picture of Minehead or did Butlins get it wrong???

08-12-03, 08:33 PM
    Kerry

maybe the picture was taken while the photographer was on the monorail

08-12-03, 10:37 PM
    gabbo

Kerry is right, that pic was taken of Minehead's outdoor pool from the monorail looking back toward the boating lake and the road beyond. The monorail crossed above the deepest pool in the middle. And naughty naughty, there should be a lifeguard on the bit with the white bollards.

09-12-03, 08:03 PM
    Kerry

thats was just a guess but oh well i was right

09-12-03, 09:30 PM
    Tom

While I can see that it is a possibility, that still dosen't account for what's happened to the pillars of the monorail and I thought that the monorail crossed over more in the center of the pool.

Also, I do not remember the pool looking like that, but was it renovated, possibly?

Cheers.

From Tom

10-12-03, 07:51 PM
    Kerry

it does look like the pool has been madeover

11-12-03, 10:53 PM
    gabbo

I think the pool looks made over beacuse of the colours used in the print. I was a lifeguard there in 90 and 91 and the pool was exactly like that when i was there. I think you might be confusing the pools you can see in the postcard with the deeper bigger pool that the monorail crossed. The one behind the bridge in the redcoat pic. From where that pic was taken you wouldnt see any support columns for the monorail, or at least they would be on the extreme perifery of the pic. In total there were 5 pools that made up the outdoor pool complex. The one at the front with the big swirly featutre in the middle, The biggest pool that the monorail crossed and the three you see in the postcard towards the back.

Hope that helps

12-12-03, 05:18 PM
    Tom

Yes, that helps alot,

Cheers, Gabbo!

I'm suprised that Butlins didn't add the monorail into the pic, but I now understand it.

Cheers.

From Tom

15-12-03, 07:52 PM
    Kerry​
Working...
X