Butlin's the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butlin's the future

So Bourne got their wicked way with Butlin's, hived off all their building assets, and now have to pay rent on what was their own property.
    The Harris family have taken back control of a business they didn't want in the first place after the sale from Rank holidays. What's the future?, The media are reporting some huge plans for all three camps, has anyone any idea what these maybe.

Originally posted by Minehead Forever View Post
    So Bourne got their wicked way with Butlin's, hived off all their building assets, and now have to pay rent on what was their own property.
    The Harris family have taken back control of a business they didn't want in the first place after the sale from Rank holidays. What's the future?, The media are reporting some huge plans for all three camps, has anyone any idea what these maybe.
    planning permissions are in for new tent coverings, new activity centres, new funfairs apparently also more entertainment venues\pubs\cafes

Comment

It makes me laugh that Butlin's want more entertainment venues, anybody who understands Butlin's was shouting it from the roof tops 20 yrs ago that closing venues was a terrible idea.

Comment

I've been to Butlins this year.

Minehead Butlins. Room not ready until 6pm as they were short staffed. Although they had plenty of staff on all the pay stuff.

Cinema: Gone

Bumper boats: Gone

Shows: Poor

Splash: Closed on changeover days. Short hours. All sorts of bits closed and roped off. With the lack of anything else on that was good, or free, Splash is always absolutely heaving with long queues and not fun.

Funfair: Two whole rides running. That is, if you count a dodgem rink with four dodgems and a not-a-hint-of-bumping rule.

This was in June!

Skegness not much better. The spa has gone. Green Baize is now pay per hour for snooker. No table-tennis. I think the tennis area is being developed into a giant play-park. A big load of hype about... aplay-park?! This is Butlins! We have a pretty good one of those in the field next to where I live - for free. The Butlins one will be a knackered wreck in a year anyway.

Again, two working fun-fair rides at Skegness in July. But at least I had a wooden wall to look at with a sign on saying 'Watch this space for next year!'. All well and good, but I had paid for a holiday THIS YEAR!

If rides are being replaced or awaiting spare parts long-term, for what Butlins charges, they really need to hire replacement travelling rides in. Because they are a part of the holiday experience you have paid for!

Pottery painting. A bit of a crap activity really. But my brother booked his child in, as usual. Only now, not only do you pay through the nose for the session - but you have to pay again to take away the pottery that you have painted. Pay. Pay. Pay. They have finally given up on Butlins as they were bored and felt ripped off throughout the break.

Anyway, that is a modern Butlins update. Separating off the real-estate from the business will reduce the incentive to develop and invest (this is part of the reason that Pontins runs with a bare minimum of re-investment, or at least is one excuse). And prices will go up even more.

So just stick with the "Butlins memories" I think! On the old Butlins Memories forum there was the odd member that thought that Butlins could do no wrong and was going in a great direction, no matter what they got rid of or suddenly charged extra for. I wonder whether their opinions has changed since?

Best options for a Butlins holiday in the UK these days is Potters Resort. But it is expensive.

KAF2
        Last edited by KAF2; 10-29-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Auckland22
          Auckland22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting comments there but see my post below - there is plenty going on. Question is which site will be home to Butlins new head office now they have been sold?

I've not set foot on any camp for a few years now,going to the darts weekend at Minehead later next month, I will be interested to see how they extended reds into the old cinema, sad they did that, as when the light was right you could still see the word Barnum's on the walls either side of the stage. Looks like the Regency building is in for a big make over, can't see me ever going back to Skeggy or Bognor ever again, we've just got used to using the Premier inn when we go to Minehead.

Comment

Hi there. I’ve just joined this forum
          and greetings from NZ. There is plenty going on with Butlins at the moment. Skyline in Bognor will be replaced first due to no planning permission required. Skegness is getting a new play park and revamped funfair include FOUR NEW RIDES and a UK first! Bognor is also getting a new eating options including a subway and chopstixs places in a new area called Skyline Eats. Minehead ex Sunsplash building is to be reclad and will be turned into a new Activity Centre. Bognor will also get a new Activity Centre. Looking at the sales brochure at the time when the freehold was available it was noted that the 3 sites would need a combined investment of £75million to bring them upto modern standards. Believe me the freeholders the University Pension Fund are a massive company and will be looking to maintain the freehold assets so you will see a period of investment in the buildings backed by the Harris Family Trust running the Butlins Brand this is truly a great time for the brand.

Comment

Maybe we will see a bit more re-investment of the profits this time around? Why would it be different though? All I've seen are the same old milking-it-dry mistakes that Rank made. So run-down! And the rot started well before the sale. And virtually nothing apart from the overcrowded fun-pools (closed or semi-closed on changeover days, two days a week) are now included in the price anymore.

​​For many Butlins regulars, these last couple of years have been the final straw, so they will never know. Read some of the recent non-tripadvisor reviews (eg. trustpilot) for a true picture.
            Last edited by KAF2; 11-04-2022, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KAF2 View Post
              I've been to Butlins this year.

Minehead Butlins. Room not ready until 6pm as they were short staffed. Although they had plenty of staff on all the pay stuff.

Cinema: Gone

Bumper boats: Gone

Shows: Poor

Splash: Closed on changeover days. Short hours. All sorts of bits closed and roped off. With the lack of anything else on that was good, or free, Splash is always absolutely heaving with long queues and not fun.

Funfair: Two whole rides running. That is, if you count a dodgem rink with four dodgems and a not-a-hint-of-bumping rule.

This was in June!

Skegness not much better. The spa has gone. Green Baize is now pay per hour for snooker. No table-tennis. I think the tennis area is being developed into a giant play-park. A big load of hype about... aplay-park?! This is Butlins! We have gathered phentermine alternatives and compared them here a pretty good one of those in the field next to where I live - for free. The Butlins one will be a knackered wreck in a year anyway.

Again, two working fun-fair rides at Skegness in July. But at least I had a wooden wall to look at with a sign on saying 'Watch this space for next year!'. All well and good, but I had paid for a holiday THIS YEAR!

If rides are being replaced or awaiting spare parts long-term, for what Butlins charges, they really need to hire replacement travelling rides in. Because they are a part of the holiday to get the l

Pottery painting. A bit of a crap activity really. But my brother booked his child in, as usual. Only now, not only do you pay through the nose for the session - but you have to pay again to take away the pottery that you have painted. Pay. Pay. Pay. They have finally given up on Butlins as they were bored and felt ripped off throughout the break.

Anyway, that is a modern Butlins update. Separating off the real-estate from the business will reduce the incentive to develop and invest (this is part of the reason that Pontins runs with a bare minimum of re-investment, or at least is one excuse). And prices will go up even more.

So just stick with the "Butlins memories" I think! On the old Butlins Memories forum there was the odd member that thought that Butlins could do no wrong and was going in a great direction, no matter what they got rid of or suddenly charged extra for. I wonder whether their opinions has changed since?

Best options for a Butlins holiday in the UK these days is Potters Resort. But it is expensive.

KAF2
              Billy Butlin, the founder of Butlins resorts, was famed for his ... it is an effective tool in ensuring the future development of the​
              Last edited by SethBarrett2; 07-11-2023, 07:23 PM.

Comment

It was a funny old thing to see the Beachcomber at Minehead fairly recently demolished. Followed by 'Oh we need another show building, there's a surprise - let's build Studio 69 out of cardboard!'. I would say the same for The Gaiety at Skegness, but that was demolished under Rank ownership, from memory, so I can't blame BL for that. You now have to book your 45 minute seat for a show in advance via an app. You may not get in. You also get the warning that you might end up seated at a table with 8 total strangers. Happy holidays! Bring back The Gaiety. Or at least the show arrangements pre-covid.

Comment

Working...
                X