X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Recovered from old forum #5911) - Duties of Skegness Hi-De-Hi Redcoat

27-06-06, 08:05 AM
    skegred

As the Photo Gallery is down thought l'd show the newer BM members a few photos of just a few of the many duties a 60s Hi -De -Hi Redcoat did, from 8oclock in the morning till after 11 at night.
    lt'd start with Swanning(talking to the campers at the breakfast tables) then if it was your turn after the pips went you'd climb the rostrum and sound the gong and talk to the campers on the mike about the program for the day,then you'd sit with the campers for your breakfast afterwards starting your long day during various competitions, shows, duties etc.

Long hours But enjoyable,and l wouldnt have missed it for anything, six glorious happy seasons

27-06-06, 08:16 AM
    Sherwood Bear

Lovely pics from a different era. A lot of things have changed since those day, not only at Butlins but in society in general. Not always for the best.
    Thanks for posting the pics

27-06-06, 08:16 AM
    skegred

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version.

Name: King Family Assorted Photos also Butlin Photo 109.jpg
    Views: 240
    Size: 20.3 KB
    ID: 6108

27-06-06, 08:32 AM
    skegred

One or two more

Andy skegred

27-06-06, 11:53 AM
    clactonman Guest
    What fantastic pictues and memories skegred. This is the real Butlins.

27-06-06, 11:57 AM
    skegred

Thankyou Sherwood Bear,,although l've holidayed at Butlins a few times since,
    l am of course biased when l say l preferred those days,But my daughter and grandchildren just love todays Butlins.

Andy skegred

27-06-06, 02:39 PM
    skegred

Every time l look at the photos Clactonman it brings back such happy memories,it seems like only yesterday,

Ah Memories,Memories

Just one or two more photos

All Butlin camps and Hotels were Great,all have their own special memories.
    l've just ordered the Filey Memories book over the phone from Bridlington council offices, looking forward to reading that,its ?5 plus ?1.80 p&p

Andy skegred

23-07-06, 07:00 PM
    atlas33

Thanks Skegred for the wonderfully atmospheric photos. They remind me of my first holidays at Butlins, back in the mid 50`s. To see kids with a shirt and tie on, reminds me of putting on our best "bib & tucker" to get the coach from South London to either Minehead or Bognor on a Saturday. But the funniest must be, like Hi De Hi on the TV, throwing Spike in the pool. Ted Bovis would say that the first rule of comedy is :- Keep smiling. I`d forgotten that they actually did throw the Red Coats in the pool.

23-07-06, 07:52 PM
    skegred

Pleased you enjoyed the photos atlas33(fellow Lincolnian,although l've a feeling you are a Londoner really),
    l like to show photos when l try to explain anything where l can.

l used to get thrown in the pool by the little beavers every week for the last 2 seasons l was at Skeggy,it was the camp comics duty really but l found myself on that duty when l looked on the duty rosta the night before.

l can understand why he wasnt too keen,as some days when the weather was sunny and warm it was a good duty,but other times on a cold and windy day it wasnt too good,and also the little Beavers(some were little savages),use to take it seriously,depending on how the Redcoat Uncle and Auntys stirred them up and one would be kicked ,pinched, bitten, prodded,punched when they caught you, (if the Redcoats didnt get to you first), also it used to petrifiy me every time l had to go and jump off the top diving board

Ah Memories,Memories,wouldnt have changed it for anything,some of the best years of my life,also met my wife there,and four lovely daughters,and grandkids later.

Andy skegred

24-07-06, 06:46 PM
    iwanabaredcoat

Thanks for sharing thouse photos with us! Its really nice to see Butlins different to how it is today. I found the photos really interesting to look at! There great!​
Working...
X